Just to review, I said I'd do the following things in 2008.
- media of the moment – an extended set of experiments with a particular media going for at least a month, possibly six weeks, and consisting of the daily thing and the weekly thing
- daily thing - daily sample of the media of the moment
- weekly thing – using the samples or new knowledge of the media of the moment, make a 5x7” work
The Media of the Moment didn't make it past the transfer paints and other transfer stuff. I let them lapse at the end of February because I don't like the feel of the man-made fabrics I had to use, and I was missing the cottons and the ability to paint and dye things. The daily thing and the weekly thing failed at about the same time. I think for a daily thing it has to be completable - the giant advantage of the postcards is that each was an object, and when it was done, I was done for the day. I can rethink that for 2009.
- monthly thing – SharonB's Take it Further Challenge (TIF) - work off the colors every time, try to get to the theme as well
Pretty good success, I managed to finish all but one month, and I did one out of order and with no object to show for it (my workroom which was most of September and she wanted to hear about in October). Plus I got 10 interesting pieces from the year that are bigger than I have been making, and will go into a gallery show this coming year (more on that later).
- trees/leaves – finish 5 of 10 leaves each series (a project I have been idly thinking about for a year) for gingko, birch, dogwood, maple, oak
oops. Not yet.
- start the first of the weeds series on 12x12" backgrounds
yes, started one and have backgrounds for two more, and I am liking them a lot.
- call your mother - do better
- ride a horse - doing much better - three to ride steadily, a teacher, and the potential for competing with one in the spring
- laugh with a friend - better
- go to a gallery/museum - yes! almost monthly
- ride your bike with your family - yes! two tandem rides totally rock!
In the unexpected successes department, I have some.
- First, I never really expected to get the work room emptied, wallpaper stripped, walls repainted, and new and usable furniture in and refilled. I still have some stuff in our bedroom that has to go back in, but the longer it remains in my bedroom, the less I think I need it in the workroom. More things into the cellar, and from there, probably on to the next owners.
- I managed a sales milestone. I took my work to a craft show, which was interesting and I learned some things, like make sure there will be people going to the craft show so there will be someone to buy the stuff you bring.
- I started an Etsy store, but I have to put things in it.
- I applied to the gallery at the local library and I was invited to show my stuff. I do not have dates, but when I do I will tell Everyone, and there will an opening, with cheese and crackers and wine and beer. You MUST come.