So today I tried a bunch of things that didn't quite work.
I found a handful of pine cones and tips of branches in the parking lot at the Y this morning, an after effect of the wind yesterday, and thought I'd see if paint on them would transfer with the fabric laid over the top and pressed. I'll tell you right now, it doesn't. I got some lumpy places on the fabric with no color for most of the pine cones, for the wet pine cone I got a brown sausage shaped transfer. For the needles I got some faint images, and a very nice scent, but mostly nothing really useful.
I tried transferring onto sheer silk. The color went right through and set quite nicely on the ironing board cover. The silk remains pristine.
I did make up some parts for the TIF Challenge, but I'm not sure how I'm going to use them. Working with these nearly perfect leaf images on shiny shiny fabric is unexpectedly inhibiting at the moment. I love the leaves and want to showcase them but then I can't think what to do to, or around them to finish the piece. I need some doodling time.